Flourless Chocolate Torte
It's Spring, it snowed, we are in quarantine... this calls for chocolate! Studies have shown that consuming chocolate releases endorphins and makes people happy. Not that we needed a reason. For those of you who are gluten free, you're good to go with this one. Let's give it a try!
- 5 large eggs, room temperature,separated
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°. In top of a double boiler or a metal bowl over barely simmering water, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- In another large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in chocolate mixture. With clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into chocolate mixture, then fold in remaining whites.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. spring-form pan. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs (do not over-bake). Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Loosen sides from pan with a knife. Remove rim from pan. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar.
1 slice: 326 calories, 24g fat (14g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 121mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.